As a growing business, we are always keen to hear from individuals who feel that they could make a positive contribution to the firm, and who believe that they have an affinity with our values, in terms of our approach to caring for staff and clients as individuals with individual needs.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you feel we’re the right firm for you, regardless of whether or not we have a specific vacancy which fully matches your background. We are always happy to receive enquiries from prospective recruits.
The Firm’s Ethos
Founded in 1893, Ellis-Fermor & Negus is a well-respected East Midlands practice with offices at Beeston, Long Eaton, Ripley, and Belper. We deliver a high-quality service to a wide range of private and business clients.
The mission of the firm is to establish a lifelong relationship with all our clients, ensuring that they and staff alike are treated as individuals with individual needs. Relationship building is a key part of our ethos.
Our Christian values are important to us in the way we approach our work and we strive to achieve the highest possible standards in terms of everything we do.
Why Join Us
Our ethos means that we endeavour to provide our staff with all the leadership, encouragement and support they need. We want everyone to feel truly appreciated for the contribution they make to the firm. We like to think that this is manifested by the fact that many of our Directors and staff have been with the firm for many years.
A happy and motivated team means that we are well placed to offer a competitive and dynamic service to our clients, ensuring the continued success of our firm.
We are looking for a Marketing Officer to join our team on a 1 year fixed-term contract.
The Marketing Officer is responsible for the overall marketing activity of the firm and works with colleagues at all levels across the company to promote the firm’s services, manage the external appearance of the firm, and co-ordinate all communications activities.
The Marketing Officer is responsible for:
- Development of marketing plans and maintaining brand image at all times
- Design and production of promotional materials
- Managing website content and internal intranet pages
- Managing Social Media accounts; Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin
- Organisation of key promotional events
- Creating content for online and offline communication (blogs, articles, magazines, literature)
- Internal newsletter and firm communications
- Liaison with external marketing agencies, designers and suppliers for marketing materials
- Management of marketing budget
- Administration of all marketing initiatives and projects, reporting to the Marketing Committee (made up of Directors and the Firm’s Practice Manager)
- Monitoring and processing client feedback responses
- Running our charity of the year scheme
The successful applicant will be a key part of our Central Administration team and will need to demonstrate the following skills:
- Previous work experience or equivalent qualifications in Marketing and Communications
- Ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues of all levels across the Firm including Directors
- Strong time management skills
- Work independently and manage own workload
- Work efficiently and prioritise competing tasks
- Take ownership of their work, showing integrity in all areas they are responsible for
- Excellent IT skills and experience of using Microsoft Office suite
- Experience in managing social media accounts and designing social media assets
- Understanding of Google Analytics and SEO to monitor website performance
- Hold a full Driving Licence and have their own car for travel between offices
Full training on our programmes and systems will be provided to enable the Marketing Officer to carry out all duties and responsibilities.
Please send your CV and a covering letter via email to our HR Manager, Viv Sheppard at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any informal enquiries about the role should be sent to Caitlin Dobson email@example.com.
Legal Secretary, Residential Conveyancing, Beeston office
Full-time role, permanent
Closing date: Friday 18 June 2021
We are looking to recruit an experienced Legal Secretary within our successful Residential Conveyancing department based in our busy Beeston Office. This vacancy is due to an internal move.
We pride ourselves on providing excellent client service and have a strong reputation in the East Midlands for the quality of our work.
The successful applicant will be part of the Residential Conveyancing team and must have the ability to type quickly and accurately. The applicant will need to be comfortable dealing with clients confidently, in a friendly and welcoming manner both face to face and over the telephone. The applicant must be comfortable with the general use of computer technology in the workplace, although training will be given on our case management system.
Previous secretarial experience in a solicitors’ firm is essential.
- Regular telephone contact with solicitors, agents and clients
- Preparing correspondence, memos, emails and forms from digital dictation
- Progressing transactions.
- Maintaining a filing system
- Opening and closing of client files
- Good computer skills
- High degree of multi-tasking and time management capability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Integrity and professionalism
Commercial Property Lawyer, Beeston Office
Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience
Closing Date: Friday 11th June
Ellis-Fermor & Negus is a full service high street solicitors firm with an excellent reputation in the East Midlands for the quality of our work. We are looking for a Commercial Property lawyer to join our 6 lawyer-strong team in handling the wide range of work that comes into our successful Commercial Property Department. The role is an exciting opportunity for the applicant to contribute to the success of one of the East Midlands’ oldest practices.
A considerable proportion of the commercial property department’s work across our four offices involves helping Churches and Christian charities in buying and selling property, leasing property for both Landlords and Tenants, mortgaging property and transferring property as part of structural re-organisations.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable understanding of issues affecting Churches and Christian Charities and an empathy for their aims and objectives, as well as a willingness to be part of a team helping Trustees and Ministers make decisions which will have a long term impact on their congregations, communities and beneficiaries.
Candidates must show an appreciation of the commercial aspects of commercial property transactions and be willing to take part in marketing initiatives for their own services and those of the commercial property department. Prior commercial property law experience would be an advantage but is not essential, as training will be provided.
The vacancy is for a full-time position and would be ideally suitable for a newly qualified solicitor up to 2 years PQE.
For more information please contact Simon Hale on 0115 922 1591 or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Family Solicitor, Head of Department
We are looking for a Senior Family Solicitor to head up and further develop our growing family department.
The ideal candidate will bring their expert knowledge, leadership skills and the drive to build upon the already high levels of success within the family team across all four of our offices.
Salary: circa £50,000 per annum (dependent upon experience)
The ideal candidate:
- Will bring their expert knowledge, leadership skills and the drive to build upon the already high levels of success within the Family team across all four of our sites.
- Will have 10+ years’ PQE in private family matters
- Will have a pro-active and positive attitude
- Will be highly motivated and forward thinking
- Whilst being a results-focused individual, the successful candidate must be being able to engage with both our clients and colleagues in a professional and pleasant manner and establish excellent relationships.
Skills and competencies:
- Has a proven track record of meeting billing targets
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Previous experience of successfully managing a team
- Experience in handling high-value private family matters and financial transactions
- Committed to expanding your network and EFN’s presence in the region.
Roles and responsibilities:
To handle a varied caseload of private family matters including:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Civil partnerships
- Children matters
- Managing and supervising a department
- Using case management software
- To act as an ambassador/promoter of the firm
- To take a proactive approach to building professional relationships with clients and other contacts.
- To treat clients and colleagues with respect and tact, bearing in mind individual needs, and ensuring confidentiality at all times.
- To present a smart appearance and wear attire suitable for a professional business environment.
- To maintain and promote the good image of the firm.
- To assist colleagues, Partners and Head of Department with any marketing and training events and initiatives.
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary bonuses twice per year
- Annual cost of living salary review
- Pension scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro rata if PT)
- Legal services after first year’s service
- Free yearly eye test and flu jabs
- Annual meal at Christmas
- Voluntary involvement with our Charity of the Year
Ellis-Fermor & Negus is a multi-disciplined high street legal practice serving clients in the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire area for over 125 years. Our employees are supported as we promote a work/life balance and set realistic financial targets. Our success has meant we have been able to provide an inflationary salary increase for our employees for the last 14 years, including a Christmas bonus and individual bonuses dependent on performance.
If you are an experienced and commercially-minded Family Solicitor who is seeking a new challenge we would love to hear from you. All informal enquiries welcome. To apply please send your CV and a covering letter via email to our HR Manager, Viv Sheppard at email@example.com.
Solicitor, Family Law, Beeston office
4 days per week
We are looking to recruit a Solicitor to join the Family Law team at our Beeston office.
As a firm, we pride ourselves on providing excellent client service and have an enviable reputation in the East Midlands for the quality of our work.
As an experienced Family Solicitor, the applicant should have experience in all areas of Private Family Law. The caseload will consist of but not be limited to: Divorce & Matrimonial, Children, Financial issues, Pre-nuptial agreements and more.
You should have a solid background dealing with Family Law, with a minimum of 5 years PQE, and be confident and self-sufficient. You should be IT literate and comfortable using a case management system. You will be expected to hit the ground running with an existing caseload.
Conveyancer, Residential Property, Beeston office
Salary: circa. £25,000 – £35,000 per annum
Closing date: Friday 11th June 2021
We are seeking to recruit a full-time Conveyancer (Solicitor/ Licensed Conveyancer/ FILEX) with the ability to handle all types of property transactions. Ellis-Fermor & Negus Solicitors are members of the Conveyanincg Quality Scheme and the successful candidate must possess solid Conveyancing experience, with a minimum of 2 years in handling their own caseload. Applicants should have strong interpersonal skills and IT skills.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for a position at Ellis-Fermor & Negus, please send your CV and a covering letter via email to our HR Manager, Viv Sheppard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your application is not for one of our advertised roles then please include details in your covering letter outlining the type of role you are seeking.
Please see our Candidate Privacy Notice here